I’ve always operated under the theory, “Work first, play later.”
But, in the five months Annistyn’s been in my life, she’s taught me something else:
Play comes first.
Fold laundry or play with baby? Play.
Wash dishes or play with baby? Play.
Scrub toilets or play with baby? Definitely play.
Play always wins.
As a full-time working mom, time is limited. Routine consumes weekdays, and most weekends are devoted to catching up at home. But, I often find myself on Sunday nights wondering why I didn’t leave more room for fun. Or, at least, let a few things slide in order to make time for fun. So, to kick off June, I’m going to take what I’ve learned from my five-month-old and schedule more play in my life.
Here’s my summer 2012 bucket list:
- celebrate our third wedding anniversary (this week!)
- have a campfire in our backyard (and make these)
- go on a picnic in the park
- get a pedicure
- enjoy a simple, at-home date night: watch a movie on the iPad on our (recently painted) deck. Check out the progress:
- stroll with Annistyn every nice evening
- do something memorable for the 4th of July
- shop the local farmers market
- go to the beach/lake
- go to the drive-in movie theater
- go to a baseball game + amusement park (July family trip, check! Annistyn’s ready…)
- take a road trip (wedding in Utah in August, check!)
- pick garden veggies, and make farm-fresh baby food
It’s pretty simple, really. Nothing too crazy. As Annistyn gets to be such a fun age and her little personality continues to shine through, I hope to see summer (and life) through her eyes.
Wonder. Amazement. Giggles. Playtime.
Thanks for the lesson, babe.
And don’t forget to rest after all that play!
How are you adding a shot of fun to your summer?